Sunday, September 26, 2010

a domestic woman




Artist Statement
Jennifer Stewart


self portraits put me in front of my camera. where there is room for chance. i can't predict how it will turn out. what i love about doing self portraits is that they are completely honest. the photographs are records of my most private moments.

taking a portrait of someone else puts me behind my camera in a completely different experience. i am deliberate and careful. i am not surprised. this portrait has been living in my box of negatives, hiding. i had this unsettling feeling when i looked at it. it's staged, out of context. it felt forced.

i'm looking at it now in a different light. this is a self portrait. there is a detachment, a loneliness, a strength.

"a domestic woman" is me.

1 comment:

Followers